Drag&Drop feature for uploading multiple files does not work in Internet Explorer in SharePoint 2010 environment. For some users this feature is disabled/hidden. However, it’s avalaible for other users in the company.
Things to check
- It works only in IE
- Internet Security is too high (doesn’t allow to run ActiveX controls)
- Microsoft Office is not installed on the computer
There is a KB from Microsoft that sums it up.
However, I experienced one other issue. These computers had one thing in common, they all had Office suite reinstalled (from 2003 to 2010). As a consequence, in Internet Explorer there was an old version of ActiveX control library (STSUpld UploadCtl) registered. You can check it by:
- Open Internet Explorer
- Tools | Manage add-ons
- From drop down list choose All add-ons
- Find STSUpld.UploadCtl | right click on in and choose More information
- Compare Version and Folder.
Version should start with 14.* (or 15.* in case of Office 2013). Folder path should head to Office14 or Office15 folder.
It’s necessary to fix old reference and replace it with current one (based on the version of Office installed).
It can be done by:
- Completely uninstalling old version of Office and reinstalling current one
- If it’s enabled, then in window More Information click on Remove
- Using RegSvr32 command to re-register DLL StsUpld.dll