Tag Archives: SharePoint 2010

Upload Multiple Documents is disabled in SharePoint 2010

Description

Drag&Drop feature for uploading multiple files does not work in Internet Explorer in SharePoint 2010 environment. For some users this feature is disabled/hidden. However, it’s avalaible for other users in the company.

Things to check

  • It works only in IE
  • Internet Security is too high (doesn’t allow to run ActiveX controls)
  • Microsoft Office is not installed on the computer

There is a KB from Microsoft that sums it up.

However, I experienced one other issue. These computers had one thing in common, they all had Office suite reinstalled (from 2003 to 2010). As a consequence, in Internet Explorer there was an old version of ActiveX control library (STSUpld UploadCtl) registered. You can check it by:

  1. Open Internet Explorer
  2. Tools | Manage add-ons
  3. From drop down list choose All add-ons
  4. Find STSUpld.UploadCtl | right click on in and choose More information
  5. Compare Version and Folder.

Version should start with 14.* (or 15.* in case of Office 2013). Folder path should head to Office14 or Office15 folder.

sp-activex-Detail

Solution
It’s necessary to fix old reference and replace it with current one (based on the version of Office installed).

It can be done by:

  • Completely u​ninstalling old version of Office and reinstalling current one
  • If it’s enabled, then in window More Information click on Remove
  • Using RegSvr32 command to re-register DLL StsUpld.dll

How to force browsers to get latest script files on ASP.NET pages in automated way

I was looking for a nice way how to force browsers to refresh its cached version of files and reload script files after the change occured.

Usually we link JS files or CSS files like this:

If you want to force refresh, you can amend parameters to url, ie.

Well, this is manual way, so how do it in automated way, so I do not have to care about it? There is several ways how to do it, I will just mention one, which is simple and reliable and you do not have to remember to increase anything upon deployment. (it’s not my idea, thanks to Adam Tegen and his answer in stackoverflow). I took the liberty to change it so it’s possible to use in ASP.NET webforms as well.

 

In ASP.NET page link the file as:

 

Access denied error while authenticating user in SharePoint 2010

After moving user account to different organizational unit in Active Directory, in some cases this user might then receive Internal server error 500, when accessing SharePoint 2010.

Environment:

  • SharePoint Server 2010 – Standard
  • Intranet – Classic windows authentication (NTLM), no anonymous
  • SQL 2005 (!!!)

Log in dialog keeps pop in for the user, even though he is providing correct credentials (checked for sure).

When it happens

It happened, only when moving user to different organizational unit in Active Directory.

After some digging, we discovered, that this error happens only for users, that have this record in SharePoint Content database, table UserInfo, column tp_Token is set to 0x.

tp_token_0x_error

 

Reason 

After a consultation with Microsoft, it’s caused by bug, that occurs only if using SQL 2005 database. It doesn’t happen in later versions. There is no KB for it (well not the public one).

Solution

  1. delete a user and recreate the account (using the powershell)
  2. If you really don’t care about Microsoft Support, you can change the value in database to null. (it works, but for obvious reasons don’t do it)

Hope it helps to lighten it up a little.